Monticello Fire & Rescue
Old Messenger Articles
This picture is a copy from the original
printers tin type it shows the department
front of their new 1936 GMC/Pirsch
pumper that was delivered that February. The
department hosted the S. WI & N. Il Fireman's
Association Spring convention that year and the
picture is part
of that news story.
Quoting from the Messenger article of 5/19/
the GMC/Pirsch pumper was purchased for less
than $4,000.00. Pictured from left to
right are Jacob Krieg, Louis Wyss, RW Ogden,
Fred Escher, Herman Babler, Fred Roesthilsherber,
Ted Zurbachen, Rich Amrlong, Adam Schuler, Gerdt
Koerman jr, CF Jordan, Chief CM Stauffer, Emi G.
Voegli, Louis Ubert, Norman Benkert, Fred Roth
jr, Fred W Voegli. Standing on truck at right
left to right are Marcus Elmer, Arthur Escher,
OE Bontly, WE Blum.
On the left side is the departments first
"Motorized Unit" a 1927 Boyer Chemical Truck
mounted on a GMC chassis. The unit
purchased in April of 1927 with the truck
costing $ 2,145.00 and the Boyer body an
additional $ 1,500.00. The 36 GMC is now owned
by a area collector.
As noted in the article the S. WI-N. Il Fire
School was attended by some 200. A dinner was
served at "several local eating establishments'"
after which they were treated by a performance
from the Blanchardville Clown Band on
main street at the Grand Central Hotel. Were
Chief CM Stauffer noted that our department was
formed "47" years ago in this very same hall.
to Monticello Fire presentation
historical society slide shows
files in pdf
format Acrobat Reader is required.
Low Resolution version
High Resolution version for printing
This is a picture of the first Rescue Truck
from the 1960's was purchased used, a former
laundry/uniform service truck. Basically a
people mover with a few shelves installed.
Check out New Squad 4
the progress of "Rescue/Squads" Behind "764"
you will see our old tanker "761".
Our former Tanker "761" now proudly serves
the "Rock River Thresheree" grounds at Milton
WI. were it hauls water to the thirsty steam
engines, keeps down the dust on the miles of
dirt and gravel roads and serves as their
first out fire protection for the many
events held on the grounds thought the year.
Our old tanker was purchased by a local mink
ranch to be used in case of a well failure
during the summer months. After they stopped
raising mink it was purchased by former
firefighter Van Loeffel and restored to the
condition you see here. This unit was our
Second Tanker Out First "Water Mover"
was a old FWD that served as a semi tractor
that pulled a converted Gas Tanker it proved
to be to cumbersome and was retired fairly
early. It was purchased buy a couple of
dedicated fireman and not department owned
Picture below taken in the 1950's was part of
local bank calendar for 1996
Thanks to Jean Kubly for picture